Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Move em out

After reading Emily's blog, I'm reminded of last year when we evacuated. It is nerve-wrecking to say the least. If it would have been up to my husband, we would have put the freezer on top of the surburban. Not knowing if you will have anything to come back to is not a good feeling. This hurricane is not playing around.

I vowed last year to make a list when I was calm of all the things to take. Thinking even about the order in which to load them in the truck! You should have see our vehicles when we left. Swamp dwellers - the stuff was piled in the boat. Anything and everything we could fit. Suddenly everything in my life seemed to hold some sort of importance and I wanted to take it with me. It was a pain to unload when we got back, but we did not lose anything and for that I am very grateful. Friends in New Iberia were hit hard. Granted, New Iberia is only a bit over an hour away, but is was like a war zone there. I'll never forget listening to their radio station, operating on generators in the parking lot, getting the word out to folks.

"Mr. X just stopped by and wanted me to annouce their freezer is defrosting so he is having to cook everything. If you need food, you can go by XXXX Street."

"OH! Good news. X just called and said the power trucks were down her road at XXXX, and there are five of them so power hopefully will be back on shortly in that area."

"There is a shelter open at X for those who need electricity for oxygen, a/c for the elderly, and small babies, etc."

It still brings tears to my eyes to think about it. An hour away from me. It could have so easily been us.

Emily, stay safe. You and yours are in our prayers. Let us know when you get back.

I think I'm gone make my list.

No comments: