Tuesday, October 11, 2005

updates

Sorry to have waited so long. I've been really busy, as you can imagine.

I think we go through several phases in times of crises.

Shock. Denial. Survival.

I went through this when we evacuated. And I have to go through it again now that I'm home.

The drive home was fine. Hardly anyone on the roads. The damage started as high up as Many, La. The closer we got to home, the worse it was. Even Jessica noticed everything was laying over from East to West...the way the spiral of the hurricane spins. So much wind damage. So much. Overwhelmingly so. You just cannot image. Some of you can. Some would have to see it for themselves to believe it. Trees with half the leaves. Like a line drawn down the center of the tree. Once side looks like a normal tree. The other side is bare. Stripped clean.

It's so bright outside. There are very few treetops. So the sun just burns down.

When I turned on my road..to see my neighbors outside working..trying to put things in some kind of order. Both sides of my street were lined with garbage about 4 feet high. Limbs brown and dry, metal roofs, lumber... all in piles.. and wet carpet, moldy things..and the stench, which was nothing compared to today when the trash finally ran and each time a can was opened.ugh... the smell... worse than the soured milk smell of a school cafeteria.

We have electricity and are living in our popup. Waiting on the insurance man to come on friday. Hopefully he can help us with a place to live. AFterall, I pay out the whazoo for that policy in my insurance. FEMA should be here within a week. So the letter says. Our mail is running on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. Great. And utilities are coming in and I need to sit down and pay bills. But who has the time? I have more important things on my mind at the moment. Slowly but surely we are making progress. I took a nap this afternoon. I don't sleep well at night. The light shines in through the camper, the dogs bark, the birds chirp.. our entire fence is down so the dogs are tied up... and I feel very vurnerable. When Rich returns to nights I will have to sleep at my parents house. I don't think I'll feel safe here.

Lots of neighbors are home..many are not. Some don't have a place to come home to. It's incredible the damage that was done just on my street. Blue roofs are everywhere. And trees are down all over...and lots of them.

Today the mold guy came to look at the house. he said he has not seen anything this bad. Oh great. He has to get his supervisor to come give the quote, he don't know where to begin. Black, green and dark green mold. Keep your fingers crossed that they condemn it! It would be so much easier.

Time to scoot. I'm having NO problem sleeping these days...and I'm dog tired before 10 p.m.. I'm getting good workouts that's for sure!

No comments: