Friday, September 14, 2007

If you have never..

If you have never had homemade pizza you are seriously missing out on some good eating! I have done both - homemade dough and the boxed Chef-boy-ardee. The "Chef" is good at visiting our house. In a pinch I have been known to made the dough by hand.. or when they specifically ask for it. MMM it really is good.

The girls were gathered around the island in the kitchen as I was making the dough. They love to eat the raw dough and were hoping ole mom would turn her head and they could snag a pinch. They were tired and hungry after declaring the Hurricane has passed and it was a good day for shopping. They spent the afternoon goofing off and being sisters. It was nice to hear them giggling and telling me what they had done. They are 6 years apart.. so bonding times like this are few and far between. I think the oldest is seeing her little sister does have a personality and likes to be around her. Before, she was a nosey little sister.

The girls requested a pizza with everything: Pepperoni, bell pepper, onion, canadian bacon, and pineapple. And it was delish! Later I made other versions for the guys, and they were just as good. I'm gonna half to try getting some string cheese and making a crust filled with string cheese. That sounds really good. I also love to put garlic powder in the dough.

I was telling the girls that when their father and I were first married we were as poor as church mice (as my grandmother says). With no extra money to splurge on pizza.. we opted to make it ourselves. That's when my husband reintroduced me to The Chef and I was hooked. The possibilities are endless. You can be as creative or as simple as you want. Thick crust, thin crust. It's all up to you.

The girls laughed when I said we had fun doing the simple things - like making pizza together. I'm sure it WAS funny. But it left me thinking about our first few years together long after the pizza was eaten and one was leaving for work and the other was in her room on the phone.

I'm really glad we struggled those first years of being newly weds and having a baby within the first year of marriage. We learned to depend on each other. We learned to work together and push ourselves to do things we never dreamed we'd be able to do. We became a team.

We built a foundation.

That foundation has kept us together through all the 19 years of disappointments and sorrows and let downs and celebrations and cheering and accomplishments.

And for that.. I'm thankful :)

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I've always said, we were the happiest when we were dirt poor.....It is the simple things that are often overlooked down the road.

On another note, we make 'little pizzas"- on pita bread! This way we can all fix our own with the toppings we like.

Rachel said...

We usually make our own on tortillas as snacks. Will have to try pita bread. I like pita baked.. it's like a chip.