Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Preparing and Organizing

Each year I say I'm gonna get organized. Each year I say I"m gonna be more prepared. I'm proud to say each year I do!

I've been working on scheduling the housework. So far so good!

I've been working on grocery shopping and using coupons to save. So far so good!

I've been working on saving more money. So far so good.

I've been working on keeping a calendar so we can plan ahead. So far so good! I look over the calendar each night to prepare for the next day. Amazing how much prep can be done the night before.

I've been working on menu planning and cooking. Ehh... some days it happens and some days it just don't. We are pretty flexible and sometimes there just is not enough time to cook what we planned due to staying out later than expected or just being too darn tired!

Why? poor planning.

This weekend I made my menu for the week based on time constraints for each night of the week. It's easy to see that nights we are busy I need to cook quick meals. This week I have the menus planned and it really has helped. It helps to know I have 5 options. Everything needed for the meal is here. THAT helps so much. It also helps to do as much prep work the night before. If you do that each night then the next night you are ahead of yourself and the stress is greatly reduced. I cannot tell you how nice it was to dump the meat and seasonings into the crockpot this morning and be done. The onions and bell pepper are all sliced and ready. In fact, tomorrow's ground meat was cooked on Monday when we had tacos. I was already cooking the meat so I might as well cook all needed for the week. No reason to stand over the stove more than I need to. Doing today's cooking everything versus doing tomorrow's prep today surely cannot make that much difference, right? WRONG. I try to equate it to picking out your clothes the night before. Being prepared just in case something happens. You never know. And Murphy's Law seems to come into play here a a lot.

Tomorrow I guess we'll have the ham - which I need to take out now to defrost (see, preparing ahead!) - so we can use some in the beans for Friday. Planning ahead really works.

I guess I am more organized than I thought. At least this week!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

I remember cooking extra meals on the weekend when I worked at the cpa firm....and everyone thought I was crazy- but it was SOO much easier to cook ONE day than to cook every day. I miss cooking....one day...One day!