Friday, October 19, 2007

and that was it

I have to make this quick as I need to hop into the tub - I have a date! Rich is gone to the camp and I"m going to dinner with..... his mom :)

Lemme tell you, it's WONDERFUL to have such a wonderful MIL. Of course, Rich is exactly like her!

Speaking of... the point to my post... one day this week was 21 years that we met. My husband can remember that date over any other - wedding, birthdays, births of our children - I kid you not. He takes that date very seriously. He says that is the day we started or lives together. The wedding part was God sealing it solid! AWww.. I know. That man!

THAT man has put up with me for 21 years!

Each year we retell the story to each other of the night we met. It's neat to hear the man's version. Women are so full of details and men are just basic facts. He'll get into detail if I question and he's learning I NEED to hear those details.

He brought me home a bouquet of flowers, a card and some cupcakes home.

I'm pretty sure God knew what he was doing 21 years ago ;) I thank him often for nudging us together that night. We both were dating people we really didn't want to be with forever.. searching for that special someone. After that night I never looked back. That night I met Richard I told him something I had only uttered once before to a man:

--arms around each others waists as we walk along side by side ----

Me: What would you say if I told you I loved you? Would you think I was crazy?
Him: No, I'd say you just made me the happiest man on earth.

WHAT? How do you say I love you at all, much less on the first night you meet someone? But that's how I felt and always have felt since we met. I feel like I have known Richard forever. I was instantly comfortable with him and could say or do anything and not worry he was gonna run for the hills.

And 21 years.... really don't feel like it. It's been one helluva ride, and I seriously could not have done it without him by my side. I tell him often I love him.. then I follow that with asking if he feels it.. really feels it deep in his heart. I know he hears me.. but it's more import that he feel it. That I'm showing him with everything I do how much I love him.

PS - May 2008 will be 20 years married!

I *heart* my husband.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Happy Anniversary this week! The "when we met" anniversary is an important one, because that's when the history you two share all started. Enjoy it, document the years.

Blessings to you!
Mary in TN

JCK said...

Congrats on 21 years! That is a real accomplishment. Hope your "date night" was fun. I had a grown-up night last night and it was heavenly!