Saturday, May 17, 2008

To eat or to drive?

Have you checked the prices of food lately? Seems like everyone is looking towards gas prices. Groceries are sky rocketing too. If you can get to the store, will you be able to afford the prices of the food?

Gas is 3.69 a gallon.

These are some things that jumped out at me today while in the store:

Grapes - 3.49 a pound

Bell pepper - 1.49 each

Poptarts - 1.88 a box

kraft mayo 3.33 container

Milk - 3.69 gallon

I am so glad I clip coupons!! I know a lot of people say they can get store brand for less. Can you, really? What about quality? I use to be one of those people. Now? My cabinets are filled with name brand foods at less than most people pay for store brand.

The kids were so glad to hear I was going grocery shopping today. It's been two weeks they claimed there was NOTHING in the house to eat. hahaha

I bought 241.00 worth of groceries and paid 181.00. That's a 60.00 savings on food! I was able to snag some things for free after coupons too! Gotta love those double and triple coupons c0upled with sales.

I also get just about everything at the grocery store - cat food/dog food, shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, feminine products, soap, cleaners, detergent, and toothpaste. And trust me, it's cheaper than you pay at.... at... WALMART. Yup. Most people tend to think just because it's Walmart they are saving. Not true.

It also helps that we have chickens for eggs, a garden for fresh veggies, and I work from home and hubby works less than 5 minutes from the house.

Son and friend entered a gaming tournament today. They did their best and unfortunately they were eliminated early on. It was for a good cause and they got their feet wet. They were able to meet some great gamer and received some great goodies just for entering. Great lessons learned today.

I also brought in my paper/cardboard for recycling. Ahh.. makes me feel so good!

No comments: