Tuesday, May 06, 2008

What did you call me?

I guess it's all in how you look at things. Being the optimist that I am, I'll take it as a compliment.

In chatting with a co-worker, I happened to mention that solar panels were on sale and now I could get them. She went on to ask what I'd be using them for. After I explained we'd start small and show the kids how much power things use and branch from there, hopefully one day being totally solar, she looked at me with the strangest look and asked, "Why would you want to do that? Just flip a switch."

The real question is Why would I not want to do it?

Yes, I'm frugal. I don't buy wants, I buy needs. I don't splurge often, but when I do it's a real treat and probably much needed by that time. I clip coupons. I use my own bags at the store. I grow my own garden for fresh-tasting veggies. I raise my own chickens for eggs. I recycle paper. I recycle aluminum. I recycle plastic. I pay my bills online - no stamps, no envelopes. I do my errands on Saturday, and for the most part plan my route ahead of time so no waste of gas. I cook most of my meals from scratch. I take vitamins. I buy as much hormone-free and organic foods as possible. I conserve electricity. I try to use rechargeable batteries when possible.

Having lived thru the hurricane.. I know the importance of having a backup plan. I have one for heat, water, and now I'm working on one for power. Trust me. A fan when there air is stagnant, a radio when there is silence, a way to heat water is a true blessing when you have nothing. A generator? True, there are wonderful. But they only work when you have gas. And when your entire town is shut down and there is no electricity to pump the gas and nobody is able to sell gas, that generator ain't doing you much good now, is it?

It's more than that tho. I want my kids to see the importance of preserving what we do have on this Earth. To appreciate all that God has given us and to use it to the best of our ability, to be able to survive and provide if something should happen in their lives -layoffs, illness, disaster, etc. The future IS in the hands of the younger generations. If we don't teach them, who will?

Our country could use the natural resourses we have - wind, sun, and water - to power more things. If we did that, the electric companies would not be making the millions of dollars they are. Keeping folks dependent on them is their way of ensuring a future for themselves.

I'm sure in time more and more people will get tired of forking over hard earned cash for gas and electricity. Not to mention food - which has gone up by 8% in the past year alone!

I've never been one to follow. I'm a leader. And I never was one to go by the standard; always thinking outside the box. Always rocking the boat, pushing the limits. I march to my own drum and really don't care what others think.

My neighbor and I were talking about recycling. I offered them to put their plastic in my bin if they were so inclined for a month so they could see just how much they lessened their outgoing trash. He just laughed and said, "What are you, a tree hugger now?"

Guess that's a good thing - a tree hugger I am. I've been called worse!

1 comment:

BSumner said...

I've always been shocked at the number of people in LC (and the south in general) who do not recycle. It's INSANE considering the size of the landfills down there. When I moved up to Boston 11 years ago it was mandatory that all residents recycle paper, plastic, metal, aluminum, cardboard, electronics.. everything. Most people with houses even have composting bins.

WHen I asked my mother about this.. she said.. "but if I stop buying plastics, papers and chemical detergents... the plants in the area will go out of business and there will be job loss".

Grrrrrrrr....