Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Starting another chapter

School starts Friday, people! Oh, how I love getting the kids ready for school. I hate the shopping part, but I love once it is all done.

I love to spread out the supplies on the floor. The touch, the smells. MMMM I really love bringing the kids to school. That electricity in the air. Everything is so crisp and fresh. Uniforms are pressed and new. Backpacks are bright and stiff and loaded down with supplies. The kids are shocked to be up so early and walking around in a daze! Everyone is so nice and quiet and excited.

My oldest is in college. She leaves the house like any other day.

My middle is in high school. He'll catch the bus and bring home a list the first day. Then me and a zillion other mothers will be racing to the store to pick through the supplies that are left over.

My youngest is in her last year of middle school. I'm enjoying this year as much as I possibly can. The supplies are purchased. The uniforms are hung. The backpack is bulging with supplies. The shoes are bright white.

I'll drive her to school that first day. I'll watch her get out of the truck and with a quick, "See ya later!" she'll be gone. Her friends are waiting to share in the excitement of that first day. It brings tears to my eyes as I type this out. My baby won't be my baby for much longer.

We use to gather, us moms, that first day of school and have breakfast to celebrate our houses staying clean and no more fights. No more dirty dishes and kids staying up all night! This year is gonna be very different for me.

3 comments:

Cajunchic said...

I love school supplies too. There is just something about them that reminds me of being a kid.

BTW do you know where I can order a bobby leger cd? I could not find any locally.

Heather said...

Ah, another school supply lover!

So today was their first day? How did it go? Bee is really enjoying it so far. When she comes home, she's so excited that she practically yells while she's telling me about her day. I have to keep reminding her to talk in a normal voice!

Rachel said...

Cajun, I dunno who sells them anymore. Sorry! I'm currently looking for my own copy - it's somewhere between the trucks and the house.. the computer, the cd player and the stereo! ACk!!

Heather... yes... I love supplies.. :) I find any excuse to buy them. Today I bought some more hanging folders for my filing cabinet! I cannot wait to get in there and organize!