Thursday, August 21, 2008

Updates abound

I read on Heather's blog she lives for comments. Comments stress me out! Ya see.. I never know if I should reply back in email, on the blog, or not at all. I don't want to be rude, I just don't know what the protocol is for comments. argh! But, I do love them. I am only human and it's nice to know people are reading and enjoy what they read.

That said, I need to do some updates:

Went to the doctor, all is fine. Due to the massive migraine headache, individual pizzas will be served tonight. I know yall are just dying to know what we eat down south HAHAHA

Kombucha - Yes, very successful brewing. I only have one problem. I prefer to drink it out of the container instead of bottling it. It looses ... something.. after I bottle it and I don't know how to keep it fizzy. If I dip from the brew each day it just tastes better to me. So, I may make smaller containers and just brew more often. Will see.

Menus - I use to have a palm pilot. It stored our favorite meals in catagories - meat (chicken, beef, pork), casseroles, quick fix/crockpot, veggies/sides, breads, desserts. I listed all the foods we ate and loved. I could just look off that list and pick from there depending on what our schedules were. I really need to sit down and do that again since I've added several new meals thanks to Nicole! :)

Planning a menu helps me so much. Less time shopping (saving $- I know Heather will love to hear that!). All ingredients are on hand for every meal so no running back to the store, thus saving gas/time. I think about the week once and then it's done. No more staring into the freezing and cabinets to see what I have on hand to make a meal. I can look at my menu in the morning and defrost meat or meal prep as my day allows.

I do keep on hand the basic corny dogs, hot dogs, frozen pizza, frozen burritoes, etc. for those days when life throws a wrench in my plans.

Yogurt making - It's really easy, fun and satisfying. At first my yogurt was creamy and now it seems to have lil balls of grit/clumps. Any idea what that could be? It is good though and I see the whey separating from it like it is supposed to - not the slimey mess I ended up with before. GROSS!

Saved sinner - can you post the crockpot method you use for yogurt? Thanks! Here is the chicken and dumplings recipe I used.

3 comments:

Saved Sinner said...

Thanks for the recipe link. I like getting comments but tend to be unsure whther to reply sometimes too. I do sometimes wonder whether people think I'm rude for not replying to comments unless they say something which obviously requires a reply (like asking a question). I've posted my yoghurt recipe here. The kep things are the timing and the mixing.

Susan. :o)

Saved Sinner said...

On the fizziness - I think I read somewhere that filtering it increases the fizziness. Otherwise, if you brew it in a jug then you can just remove the scoby and a cup of kombucha for the next brew and then it is handy for pouring.

Heather said...

I never know what the protocol is for replying to comments either. I tend to not reply unless someone asks me a question. I hope I'm not offending anyone.

Thanks for the chicken recipe! I have chicken breasts in the slow cooker, so I'm going to make it tonight!

Congrats on getting all of your papers filed! Isn't it a great feeling? YAY!