Monday, September 22, 2008

Cheeseburger pie

** Nicole, my kids have requested that rib meal once a week now for 3 weeks. Last week I used chicken in place of ribs... not as good, but they liked it. I also added bell pepper, carrots, and potatoes to it. They gobbled it up.

My husband loves cheeseburger pie. It's a weight watchers recipe, though it's soo good! Most of the time when I make it I don't measure... just go with what looks good, like the meat to rice ratio. Seasonings.. oh yah.. bring on the garlic. It's a great meal to use up that left over rice. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

Cheeseburger Pie - serves 4

1 cup tomatoe sauce
4 oz onion, diced
1/2 medium bell pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 oz cooked ground beef
4 oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded - reserve some for top!
2 cups cooked rice

Combine first six ingredients. Simmer until veggies are tender. Add the ground beef, cheese and rice. Mix well. Put mixture into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

My mom also made a dish with those mulicolored spiral pasta, ground meat, tomatoe sauce, carrots, green beans, seasoning.. it was sooo good!! I will have to get that one from her. She was a weight watcher instructor for years... and had the best recipes! MMMM

2 comments:

Cajunchic said...

Thanks. I will have to add that to my menu next week.

Heather said...

This is slightly different from the Bisquick version, but it sounds healthier. I'm gonna try it. Thanks for posting the recipe Rachel!