Saturday, December 06, 2008

Traditions

Do you have Christmas traditions? Starting new ones?

Every year my grandmother bought PJs for the kids. Now she gives me the money and I take the kids to pick them out. We celebrate on my side of the family a few weeks before Christmas. This way, they wear their new PJs on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day my pictures are of them in new PJs and not some ole mix-matched sleep shirt and pants :)

We swap gifts with my side of the family a few weeks before Cmas. We usually have a big gumbo, potatoe salad and lots of finger foods.

Christmas Eve we go to hubby's grandparents' house and make homemade eggnog. Christmas Day we return to their house at 3 to swap gifts. (We are changing this tradition!)

We usually drive around and look at Cmas lights. The kids and I picked a night when hubby was working... we got Hot chocolate and rode around. It was really nice. My parents use to take them when they were small. They would go eat pizza and then ride around and look at lights. They haven't done it in a long time.

We gather with hubby's mom and brother/family one weekend too. We usually have finger foods and then swap presents with them.

On Christmas morning my husband cooks his famous Hominy Breakfast. He cuts up bacon and cocktail sausages and cooks them. Then he adds a can of Hominy and cooks until heated. The kids love this! Hubby's grandfather made this for him when he was growing up. And now he continues the tradition.

My parents usually come over on Cmas morning to see what Santa brought the kids. My mom brings a tray of goodies.

I recently heard about the following and want to do it so bad! Get a nativity scene. Take Mary and Joseph and place them around the house each day as they make their journey to Bethleham. On Cmas Eve place everyone except baby Jesus and the wise men. On Cmas day place Jesus in the manger. Move the wise men around the house as they "journey" to see the baby Jesus! They arrive on January 6, the Ephinany, also celebrated as Twelfth Night here in the south!

Our favorite tradition when it comes to opening gifts: Everyone picks a spot and puts their gifts beside them. Once everyone is settled we start with the youngest person. They announce who the gift is from and then open it. This gives a chance for everyone to see who got what and from whom. It also gives you a chance to look at your gift until it's your turn again. We thought NO WAY would the kids go for this - but they do and love their time in the spotlight! This started on my side of the family. It worked so well my kids insisted we do it at the inlaws. It kinda stretches present time too.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Awww those sound great! I like the gift opening by age idea!!

We always ride around looking at decorations too. My Dad took me when I was little and now we take our girls.

There were certain cookies and candy my mom only made at Christmas. There are these AWESOME fruit drop cookies that are the BEST ever!! Fudge, pralines, some kind of powdered sugar cookie, and a coconut cake.

We always had a party at my parents' on Christmas Eve and open gifts. Chicken salad sandwiches, meatballs, sausage, devilled eggs, chips/dip, plus the above treats!

I am not sure what we are doing or how we are doing things this year.

Heather said...

I love hearing about other people's traditions! My husband would love the hominy breakfast...he really likes stuff like that.

momstheword said...

Well, I don't know what gumbo is (though I've heard the word) but I do know what yummy potato salad is!