Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Ah-Ha!

I am waiting for Wednesday's ads to come out to make my menu. I know, I know. What can I say?

Tonight we had Mexican cornbread. MMM It's soo good. I love it when I'm cooking and have the time to clean as I go. By the time the cornbread went in the oven my kitchen was clean! The dishwasher was empty and waiting for the dirty supper dishes.

Each year I try to get a bit more organized. This year in addition to my family calendar I have started carrying around a pocket planner. I "sync" the two once a week to stay on top of things. So far so good.

I am also reading a few books on organizing. The first book I started is called The Everything Organize your Home Book. Ehh, not so good. She mostly repeats 2 other famous organizers, one being flylady and the other is another organizing book I checked out. I just want to scream, "Write your own book!" I have thumbed through about half and nothing struck a cord with me.

Another book is "Organizing your home in no time". I had an AH-HA moment. Now, for most of you this will seem sooo easy. DUH. For me, NOT a born organized, it was like whoa! I'm sure it has happened in the past, on a fluck, but I never thought about MAKING it happen.

Unload the dishwasher as soon as it is done.

Yup. That's it. Unload it STAT!

The dishwasher is not a store house for your dishes. If you unload it promptly, it will be ready for the incoming dishes you know are coming. No more piles of dishes in the sink waiting for the kids to come home and unload the dishwasher. Everyone will KNOW the dishwasher is empty when they have dirty dishes and put them in the dishwasher instead of the sink (we are working on this).

I know. Easy enough, huh?

Why didn't I think of that sooner?

Another ah-ha moment? Making tea. My MIL bought me a new teapot for Christmas. We drink a lot of tea. I miss making it. We were buying it premade in the jug and that gets expensive. Hey, I'm trying to cut corners here.

I found myself repeating the same process. Put the water to boil. When it just starts to whistle, turn it off, add 2 family size teabags for steeping.

That's as far as I got. I remembered this morning I had tea steeping in the kettle. EWW.. Now I have to toss the tea, the bags, clean the kettle, and I have no tea.

Now I put the tea bags in the pitcher and pour the hot water from the kettle on top of the bags. I let it steep until the water is cool enough to make the tea.

My kettle will stay clean - so no tea tasting water when I just want to heat some water. No more wasting tea bags. Tea that I remembered to make! Win-win situation all around.

I love ah-ha moments. Off to read more on organizing.

2 comments:

Deeny said...

Nice Post Rachel- I am trying to get organized and still haven't got it mastered- I truly am organizationally challenged. Have an awesome afternoon. :-)
Deana

Heather said...

Rachel, this is why I love you. You're the only person I know who loves planning and organizing and bargains as much as me!

P.S. I replied to your enchilada question in the comments.