Tuesday, April 07, 2009

These are a few of our favorite dips....

The first dip is my son's favorite. Thank's to Sheri, who taught me the secret to keeping to the cheese soft!

The next dip is a new dip I found on the internet. I have a sneaky feeling I will be making LOTS of it from now on. ALL the teens gave them both thumbs up. They said the bean dip was actually better than the store bought stuff. wow! What I love most about making things homemade, you can tweak them to your own taste.

VELVETA CHEESE DIP

1 small block of Velveta cheese
1 can of rotal (tomatoes and green chilis)
1 tube of breakfast sausage, cooked
Jalopenos (optional)

Cube velveta and put in a bowl. Pour Rotel on top and let sit. The acid starts to soften the cheese and keeps it from hardening up. Brown breakfast sausage and drain off grease. Add the cheese/rotal mixture to breakfast sausage. Optional - jalopenos. Medium to low heat until cheese is thoroughly melted. Stir often. Serve warm. You can keep it warm on a dip crockpot or just on low on the stove.

Copy Cat Fritoe Lay Dip

1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
5 slices bottled jalapenos (nacho slices)
1 tablespoon brine, from bottled jalapeno slices
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Combine refried beans with the other ingredients in a food processor.
2. Puree ingredients on high speed until smooth.
3. Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.

Bean dip around here costs 1.69 a can. I paid .57 for a can of refried beans. I had the other ingredients on hand - so pennies for those. Even if we up the total to .70 for the cost to make the homemade version, it's still .99 cents cheaper to make it.. AND the homemade recipe makes 3 times the amount!!

Store version 3 cans x 1.69 = 5.07

Homemade .70

Savings 4.37

Amazing!!

3 comments:

The Semi-single Mom said...

Ok...here is my favorite dip. Perfect for this time of year...Strawberry Season in La. Mix 1 pkg of cream cheese (room temp) w/ 1 jar 7oz marshmellow cream. I use a mixer. Use as dip for strawberries. My sis in law showed me this & now I can't get enough.

Jennifer said...

I usually just fix the Velveeta dip in the crock-pot and leave it on low. The bean dip sounds divine! I'm going to have to try it this weekend. Thanks!

Frugal Jen said...

I love dips, especially the velvetta and rotel.

Thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog :)