Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Routines

My MIL stopped by the other day. Her husband passed away in 2005 - right after the hurricane. I cannot image going through all that alone. She still has rough spots, and here lately is one. I try to do what I can. Having never been through that, I'm kinda at a loss. I figured just listening is best.

We got on the topic of routines and depression. EVERYONE has highs and lows. Hormones? Life? Whatever it is, we all go through it. I was very depressed after the hurricane - and rightly so. I did not see it at the time. Why not? Well, because I was depressed. Plain and simple.

Back to routines. I have found that even when I don't want to get out of the bed in the morning, or cook, or go anywhere, or talk to anyone.. if I continue with my daily routines - you know, Flylady - that I will pull out of my slump faster than if I do nothing. It's just too easy to say "I'll get back to that." That lends to more talk of "I'll get back to that." And it never happens. The clutter spreads and just makes you feel worse. Something about going through the motions of my daily routine and not having to think about them is comforting. It may be bare minimum.. but something is getting done!

I can see my MILs face get brighter. Routines! Yes! She's smiling now. Routines let you know what to expect, what to prepare, what to do. 24 hours is a long time to do nothing when you are alone in a house. At least a routine would give you something to busy youself, your house would be picked up, and you would FEEL BETTER.

My husband sat there looking at us like we were crazy HAHA. I have the BEST MIL in the whole world. I'd do anything to take her pain away. I want her to be happy. On this day.. listening and sharing seemed to do the trick.

Time to start my routine!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Routines.....funny how sometimes it's a regular routine that is needed for some........and others it's a break in routine that is needed.

I guess when you realize when which is needed- you have it all figured out.

The Semi-single Mom said...

Funny how if you live in the area you know which hurricane is the hurricane...lol.